The Michigan State University Honors College (HC) invites applications for the position of Admissions Assistant Director.
The Honors College Admissions Assistant Director plans admissions activities including primary responsibility for the strategic planning and direction of high achieving student recruitment for MSU and the Honors College including on- and off-campus programs, marketing, research, and publications. Develops and implements recruitment plans; serves as a liaison with key university offices having admissions interests; and, as needed, directs the activities of other admissions staff and/or graduate and undergraduate students. Coordinates recruitment activities for the Honors College that support pre-college programs at MSU, assisting with aligning admissions activities of the college with University goals and objectives for student success.
- Assists in planning and directing admissions activities for high achieving prospective students.
- Visits schools and makes presentations at information sessions and college fairs on and off campus and in and out of state; meets and counsels prospective students and their families about the Honors College and plans campus visits and outreach programs.
- Facilitates presentations and outreach activities with pre-college groups; Collaborates with other units on campus to plan joint recruitment activities; Organizes alumni contacts with prospective students in collaboration with other HC staff.
- Utilizes demographic information, historic enrollment trends, market forecasting and prospect data to develop and implement recruitment plans and strategies.
- Leads and coordinates review of student records for Honors College eligibility in collaboration with other HC staff.
- Serves on special admissions and scholarship committees including Office of Admissions Partners, Alumni Distinguished Scholarship Committee, and Mowbray Scholarship Selection Committee.
- Oversees and/or coordinates honors housing placement as liaison with Residential/Housing Services.
- Performs other professional duties as assigned by the dean and the assistant dean.
Standard office environment. The job requires moderate physical effort and involves standing, driving or sitting for extended periods and lifting and carrying materials up to 25% of the time. The position also requires some evening and weekend work commitments on and off campus especially during peak recruitment travel season for approximately six weeks in the fall and approximately four weeks in the spring.
Requires valid vehicle operator’s license to perform duties of the position.
University Required Education/Experience
The job requires knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four year college degree program; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in professional admissions work at a regionally accredited institution, including planning and implementing admissions programs, developing and implementing marketing and recruitment plans and strategies, and researching and analyzing admissions data; experience making formal presentations; and working with the public; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Master’s Degree in student affairs, higher education, or related field. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Familiarity with the needs of high achieving students and special populations within. Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Strong organizational skills. Student-centered approach which emphasizes holistic student development, inclusivity, and early outreach.
Work Hours: Normal office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Requires some evening and weekend work commitments on and off campus.
Required Application Material
Resume or CV, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. Include name, position, phone, email, and mailing address.
How to apply:[Posting #571290]
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Dr. Bess German at 517-355-2326.
(Bidding eligibility ends on 4/23/19 at 11:55 PM)
(External Posting Duration ends on 5/14/2019 at 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time)