MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
Title: Epidemiologist – Health Disparities $46,500 – $74,586 / Posted thru: 4-18-19
Employee Name: Vacant
Supervisor: Patricia McKane
Purpose: This position provides epidemiological expertise to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services’ (MDHHS) Health Disparities Reduction and Minority Health Section (HDRMHS), working within the Bureau of Epidemiology and Population Health within the Lifecourse Epidemiology & Genomics Division (LEGD) on matters concerning minority health, health disparity and health equity. This position also provides consultation support to the Environmental Health Division
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with HDRMHS and LEGD staff to administer and manage existing health equity related surveillance systems.
- Identify, compile and evaluate access to data sources to be used for surveillance and epidemiological analysis related to health disparities and health equity.
- Disseminate results of health disparities surveillance and special studies to MDHHS and other local, state and national audiences, through oral and written presentations, factsheets, briefs, and other media as appropriate.
- Provide technical assistance to MDHHS staff related to epidemiology, data collection, and management.
- Contract management, evaluation, and technical assistance for capacity building data projects.
Environmental Health (0.25 FTE)
- Provide Consultation to Environmental Health on health equity concepts and measurements.
- Provide assistance to Environmental Health epidemiologists in characterizing health equity for high priority sites with identified contaminants using available data.
- Collaborate with environmental health epidemiologists to create data collection instruments/questions measuring health equity that will be used in exposure assessments and health studies for sites under investigation and provide analytic support for data collected.
- Attend weekly Environmental Health Epidemiology Team Unit Meetings
- Meet regularly with other members of the MDHHS Lifecourse Epidemiology & Genomics Division for planning, exchange of technical methods, and participation in common epidemiologic tasks for the Bureau.
- Maintain a positive, strong, credible, professional and interpersonal relationship with all parties relevant to MDHHS and MPHI projects and represents the best interests of MDHHSMDHHS and MPHI at all times.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Master’s Degree in epidemiology or public health-related field such as biostatistics with course preparation in epidemiology, biostatistics, and chronic disease.
Experience: Preference given to candidates with three or more years of professional experience carrying out a variety of surveys, investigations, tests, and analyses of human disease and health conditions, but is not required.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Knowledge of principles of health equity and its application to epidemiology, control and prevention issues would be very advantageous.
- Ability to present data and research results as information useful to decision-makers.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Typical office environment. May require moderate physical effort for transporting display or educational material. Requires a valid vehicle operator’s license to attend off-site meetings, conferences and trainings. This position will be located in the Lansing area.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS: No assigned responsibility.
IMPACT ON PROJECTS, SERVICES AND OPERATIONS: The MDHHS Bureau of Epidemiology and Population Health is responsible for the epidemiologic assessment of health status, disease patterns, and risk factors of the state’s people. It also participates in the evaluation of the success of various programs. This position applies these assessments and evaluations to health equity issues in the development of policy and goals for programs and the Department.